Saturday, February 21, 2009

13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher




Some of you have already read this one, but I thought for those of you that haven't I would throw this out there again. It is a stunner. The premise is suicide, so for those of you sensitive to that you may get pretty pissed off at the character, and may want to bypass this one. But, for me, one of the attractions of this story was how the author was able to portray the emotions and perspectives of Hannah, the girl who does the deed (not giving anything away here folks). So, anyway, just to give a wee morsel of the book, Clay--teenage boy, somewhat shy and gawky, but cool--comes home from school and finds a box on his doorstep. Excited, he rushes in, opens the box, and inside finds 7 cassette tapes, numbered 1 through 13. Curious, he goes to the garage, pops the tape in the player, and hears Hannah--who killed herself 2 weeks earlier. The tapes are her last words, and her 13 reasons why she killed herself. The problem is, these tapes are only being sent to those 13 people; but Clay loved Hannah--so why did he get the tapes? And does he have the courage to listen to them?

2 comments:

Emilia said...

The thing I loved about this book, is that each time I got totally frustrated at the self-centered attitude of the girl, so did the boy listening to the tapes. It made me feel better.

Really well written.

Lina said...

I'd recommend listening to the audio version. That way you're listening to exactly what Clay is listening to; I found it really drew me into the story - it's pretty short - only 5 CDs.