Tuesday, April 29, 2008

One For the Money


I like uplifting stories. I really enjoy stories that make me think and look at things from a new perspective. I love stories that make me smile, or giggle or laugh out loud.

But then there are times when I just read filler books. I read all of Meg Cabot's books because they are mental cotton candy that make me laugh a lot. I am a firm believer that while it is delicious and fun to eat, cotton candy probably shouldn't be the main staple of my diet.

Meg hasn't come out with anything recently, so I needed to borrow someone else's cotton candy. Janet Evanovich was recommended to me as "candy bar reading". I can go with that. A little more substance than cotton candy, but with similar nutritional break down.

That said, I enjoy Evanovich's writing style. It's just enough that you don't feel stupid for reading it, but not so much that it can't be enjoyed while lounging on a beach somewhere...or in my comfy green wingback chair.

I should warn you, fellow compulsive I-can-not-read-only-one-in-a-series, that there are 14 books in the Stephanie Plum series.

I should also say that this first book is set in Trenton, NJ. And she gets that part right. Trenton is gross and disgusting and depressing. (I'm sure there are lovely parts, I just never saw them. I went to college in a suburb of Trenton and even the gorgeous old mansions were all crumbly and surrounded by ickiness. Right downtown isn't bad, but everything else is not so nice.) This series is about a woman from Trenton who becomes a bounty hunter for her sleazy cousin, Vinny. It's not quite what she expects, but she survives the hard knocks.

Not bad for some summer reading, Broads. Or in between stuff, either. And yes, I will be reading the other 13 in the series. I promise I'll seek help someday for this bizarre compulsion. No, really. I will. Someday....

1 comment:

Tricia said...

I read four or five last summer. I loved them at first and then I got progressively sick of them. I don't know if the stories were all the same or if it just got too trashy for me. I was able to quit partway through this series without a backward glance (apart from one visit to Wikipedia), which is very bizarre for me.