Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Monsters of Templeton


I am pasting a review from amazon.com, because it did a far more condensed version than I was coming up with.

"On the very morning Willie Upton slinks home to Templeton, New York (after a calamitous affair with her archeology professor), the 50-foot-long body of a monster floats from the depths of the town's lake. This unsettling coincidence sets the stage for one of the most original debut novels since The Time Traveler’s Wife. With a clue to the mysterious identity of her father in hand, Willie turns her research skills to unearthing the secrets of the town in letters and pictures (which, "reproduced" in the book along with increasingly complete family trees, lend an air of historical authenticity). Lauren Groff's endearingly feisty characters imbue the story with enough intrigue to keep readers up long past bedtime, and reading groups will find much to discuss in its themes of "monsters," both in our towns and our families. --Mari Malcolm"

Read it, broads! (Heather and Dena, Stephen King even wrote a rave review about it.) Or don't. We could save it for August's book... thoughts?

2 comments:

Amy said...

...am currently reading this...albeit gingerly since a few pages fell out the first time I opened it (aa BRAND NEW book!)...crappy glue. Library's going to burn me for that, I'm sure.

...am enjoying the book so far, but you'll all remember I didn't hate "The Blind Assassin" either, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt.

Emilia said...

This is actually from Amy, but she's having login issues and asked me to post:

So, I just wanted to add that I'd finished the book and found it quite fun
and an entertaining, quick read. It's a bit mystery and a bit
chick-in-trouble-yet-finding-her-way-out-with-help-from-her-mom/friends-she-
didn't-realize-she-had. I'm not a big fan of women in trouble and learning
to love despite adversity, but it's about her coming to terms with her past
and her future and not so much about her romantic exploits.