Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The City of Ember

I picked up a copy of this book a few years ago at one of the Scholastic warehouse sales and sort of forgot about it until I recently saw a movie trailer for it.

I really enjoyed this story much more than I thought I would. I was tempted to hand it right over to my eight year old to read, but I think waiting one more year would help him enjoy it better.

The premise is sort of like "The Giver", but it seemed less creepy to me. Two twelve year olds, Lina and Doon, decide to switch job assignments and each come to realize that things aren't going so well for their dark city. Lina discovers an old document and together with Doon they are able to puzzle out "The Instructions".

1 comment:

Amy said...

I enjoyed this book, but I kept having visions of "A Boy and His Dog."