Saturday, August 16, 2008

Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination


This book by Helen Fielding (author of Bridget Jones' Diary) is light and fluffy and fun if you are able to completely suspend all disbelief. I mostly was. Every now and then I'd think, "How could that happen?!" And then I would remind myself that I was reading a light and fluffy book and I should just be quiet. Good for poolside, but I think it would annoy me too much in cooler weather. What is it about the pool that makes it more possible to read ridiculous books? Chlorine fumes, maybe?

Okay, now I have a rant. I have been reading lots of books by British authors lately, and I find myself wincing every time they try to write an American. I'm sure that Americans are just as bad at writing the Brits. (I also read books about Wyoming a lot mostly so I can shout out loud at the author, "You've obviously never lived in Wyoming!" And sanctimoniously thump it closed. Everybody needs hobbies.)

Anyway, here is a list for British authors of things that Americans DON'T say (unless they are pretending to be British or have recently watched too much BBC America):

1. "Rather". We really don't use this word very much other than indicating preference. Q: "Would you like this?" A: "No thanks, I'd rather have that." Americans do not use the word "rather" as a one word response to anything.

2. "Lot". We don't say "this lot", "that lot", or "you lot". We say "These guys", "Those guys" (in NJ we say "yous guys", too, but we'll leave that out as common American usage...) or "Everybody".

3. "Gobbledygook." I'm not sure any Brits say this either. But now that I've written it out, I may have to use it. Rats.

I'm sure there are more, but that's it for now. British authors, find an American to read your stuff first. One who doesn't listen to British-English regularly. It will make your American characters more authentic. American authors, do the same for our friends across the pond.

Rant over.

For now.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Rather.

Emilia said...

Oh stop. I heard about the ducks. When is duck hunting season?

oooo! Question for you! Formal wedding in November in West Palm Beach. Is velvet ever acceptable in FL or do I need to go with satin or taffeta?

Amy said...

Duck hunting season is the next time that duck attacks one of my kids.

As for the velvet, it depends on the cut. If it's sleeveless, I'd say go for it. It's still going to be in the 70's in November. Also, find out if it is indoors or outdoors - any or all of the event. If inside, you can go with more coverage because the air conditioning will be on and might likely simulate wintry conditions - although a/c season is really more in the summer.