Thursday, January 15, 2009

Half-Broken Things

I really don't know how I came to read this book. No one recommened it to me, I hadn't heard of the author, I just happened to see it at the library and grabbed it because I was wanting something to read. Didn't even check to see what it was about. (which is strange for me) Anyway, it's about an elderly house sitter who is staying in the perfect house. She has just been informed that the company will no longer need her services due to her age. She has no family, or place to go. She makes up a son, and places an advertisement in the paper looking for him. A man who has no family, no job, and makes a living stealing from people, answers her ad. He also brings along a pregnant girl he has just met. Together the 3 of them become a family and make each other something better. They have found their place together. Only problem- not their house.
This book has won the Silver Dagger Award. (I really don't know what that is) This is not a mystery, drama or romance. Maybe a little of each? It draws you into the lives of these characters and makes you ask "What would I do to keep my family together?".

No comments: