Monday, January 12, 2009

Montana Sky

I've never read a book by Nora Roberts before. Upon admitting this, one of my guy friends was appalled. I was informed that Nora Roberts is as requisite for women as John Grisham/Michael Chrichton/whomever else is writing books to be read on an airplane flight these days.

I was unaware that there were gender requirements for these authors, but I'll take the comparison.

"Montana Sky" is the story of three sisters who meet for the first time at the funeral of their father. He married and divorced their mothers before the daughters ever knew him. Now these three very different women are required to spend one year on his ranch in Montana to receive any inheritance. I will admit that I had low expectations when the three beautiful sisters all had three gorgeous cowboys to spend time with, but honestly the story was very suspenseful and enjoyable.

My largest complaint is that I listened to this story. Why is it that every actor believes that people in the west speak with southern accents? It was extremely irritating to listen to the reader make everyone sound like they were from the deep south. And frankly, even people in the deep south don't really talk like that. People in Montana have an accent. I've never heard anyone correctly immitate it, though.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I swear this was made into a movie. I think I started watching it one day on Lifetime or Hallmark channel or something like that.

Emilia said...

I think it was, though I didn't know that until I googled for a cover image.

Did they have stupid southern accents in the movie, too?