Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Worst Hard Times

This is a terrific book. I must admit, I had not a clue about the Depression. I had listened to my Granny talk about what they went through during the Depression, and they had it better than a lot. They lived on a farm in Kentucky. But after reading this book, I went back and asked her and my parents about the dust storms that traveled across the nation. They could remember the days the storms came across. This was dust from Oklahoma and neighboring states covering Kentucky and all the way to New York. I can't imagine. The author Timothy Egan, has a special showing on the History Channel, where he tries to recreate the conditions that these people were living in. This book makes it come alive for you. It generalizes the times, but also follows the lives of several people in a small town, in the heart of the Dust Bowl. Best Nonfiction I have read in a while.

No comments: