Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Comfort Food

I read The Friday Night Knitting Club (a previous book by the same author) while I was training for the half marathon. I did a lot of reading on the treadmill. Anyway, one Saturday while on the treadmill somewhere around mile 6, I had tears streaming down my face. I actually cared about the myriad of characters in the story. I was able to shut of my brain to all the silly little implausibilities of the story and get involved enough that I cried.

This book? No tears. It felt like Jacobs tried following a once successful recipe, but it didn't turn out quite as well as the first one. I didn't even feel connected to the food. And I love food and books about food! Food can make a whole story for me! But here, it felt like she was describing pretty pictures of food and not the real thing.

I won't say it's a waste of time, but it's not a book I will remember with fondness.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

That pretty much sums up my feelings about it too!