Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Dark is Rising Sequence

Ok. So I loved, loved, LOVED these books when I read them as a preteen. I thought they were cooler than jellies and those horrible pot bellied stuffed animals and scratch and sniff stickers. Well, maybe not cooler than the stickers. I still think those are pretty cool. But I digress.

I am fairly certain that I never read the first book out of the five, which I unfortunately purpetrated on you innocent book group broads. I figured, "How bad could it be if the other four are so awesome?" Alas. "Over Sea, Under Stone" was an inexplicable snooze fest. I am not really sure how that could be as the premise is an interesting one. I can only assume that Susan Cooper has a genius for taking what should be a heart-in-your-throat-thriller and turning it into something that you would discuss blandly over tea and scones. She pull that off in other places in the 5 book set, but never so much so as in the first book.

I slogged dutifully through all 5 because, by god, how could my younger self have been so deluded? I am happy to report that the books get better. I actually thought that the 4th book, "The Grey King" was a real humdinger. But you need to get there by reading the others, and I am guessing that not a one of you feel motivated to do that. Disappointingly, the final book isn't bad, but it isn't as fun as the 4th. There were times when I was close to the end where I was looking longingly at my trashy vampire book that was next in line. Never a good sign.

I am going to have to assume that there is something magical in these books that appeals to a folklore/myth/magic leaning kid that has been lost in the transition into adulthood. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for this series, but I have to be true to my self and admit that it could have been done better. For instance, "The Narnia Chronicles" lose none of their magic when read by adults. In fact, I would posit that their meaning and depth deepen with every new reading. These books simply are not on that level.

3 comments:

Emilia said...

I haven't finished book 1 yet, but I'm enjoying it. Perhaps that just means I'm good with "dull" books. And because of my neurosis, I will have to read the rest of the series.

joan said...

Hey, look! It's a post about a book!

Heather Snediker-Morscheck said...

Miss Emilia- I have them all for you to borrow. I will bring them tonight. I still like them. And they certainly get better the further in you go.