Friday, November 28, 2008

I Heart John Green!


It started with the book "Looking for Alaska". People have compared it to "Catcher in the Rye" and I kind of agree, except I didn't hate it. So that's new. It was a boy coming of age story that was just enough angsty/witty/over the top/fabulous that I loved loved loved it.

And besides, John Green is hot in that geeky, skinny, witty way. (Which we all know is my favorite way.) Here is a picture of said hot guy:



"Hello, John. Will you anagram my name, please?" (This is only funny if you've read the next book.)


"An Abundance of Katherines" is the story of child prodigy, Colin, who at age eighteen is convinced that life is over for him because he's never had a Eureka moment. And he knows that child prodigies never go on to be geniuses. He also has dated and been dumped by nineteen girls named Katherine. (Catherines and Kathryns need not apply.) He and his best friend go off on a road trip the summer after their senior year to cheer Colin up after K-19 (or Katherine XIX) dumps him. It is while staying in a pink mansion in Gutshot, TN, Colin begins work on a theorem that may explain why it's all gone wrong with all of the Katherines. There are footnotes and mathematical equations on nearly every page. There is obsessive anagraming and ridiculous random facts inserted everywhere. I love this character! (Mostly because he reminds me of people I've hung out with over the years.) If by some chance, you don't adore Colin, you will most certainly love his best friend and fellow traveller, Hassan. They make me happy.

Go forth and read!!

No comments: